About the Plaza

The Vernon Plaza Theater is one of Vernon, Texas’ most important local traditions. Originally built over the ruins of the Vernon Opera House by the Interstate Theater Company (now defunct), the Plaza theater was a state-of-the-art, fully modern (circa 1953, that is) movie house, incorporating the latest advances in technology–and in 1953, that meant that it was the first theater in Texas to be built for 3-D movies! Several people have owned and operated the Plaza in its long and colorful history. More to come…